Subject: DocBook on the Web

Reading Norm's latest post
<http://norman.walsh.name/2006/10/30/openMind> I wondered, has anyone
tried publishing straight DocBook on the Web? i.e. sending  real DocBook
XML + (CSS | XSLT) to the client; not doing the conversion server side
or earlier and sending HTML to the client? If so, what were your
experiences.

My suspicion is that even assuming client side support there are several
problems:

1. There are no straight CSS stylesheets for DocBook.

2. The XSLT stylesheets are too complex to reasonably render client
side. They also likely rely on extension functions browser engines don't
have.

3. Anything beyond an article is too large for one page, and it's not
really possible to chunk pages on the client side.

Are these fixable? Is it worth fixing them? Or is it just that
prerendering to HTML simply is the better option and we should stop
worrying about it?

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!