Subject: Annotations?

Hello,

I have a few questions about how annotations should behave. AFAI
understand the @annotates and @annotations are links from/to annotations
to specify in which elements the annotations popups must appear. My
questions are:

- is it possible that none of @annotations/@annotates attributes is used?
If so, should we consider that the annotation is about its parent element?

- looking a bit the XSL stylesheets, the annotations seem to be handled
only in inlined elements? Is it on purpose or have I missed something?
Does it apply to any element (block element)?

Thanks,