Subject: Dividers and fleurons

In certain types of print publications (say, opinion pieces written by a
columnist for a weekly magazine or a newspaper) it is fairly typical
that the author may organize his paragraphs into logical sections
_without_ using subheadings.

Instead, we may see a (more or less) graphical divider - often something
simple, like these three asterisks, centered on a single line:

* * *

(Large round dots - such as U+25CF - or squares are also often seen
instead of asterisks.)

A similar practice can be encountered in books - especially old ones -
where flower or leaf motifs (properly called "fleurons") may be used at
the end of chapters, or for divisions within a chapter. Here are some
fonts which contain such motifs...

 <http://www.myfonts.com/browse/keyword/fleuron/>

...and here's an article which discusses the topic:

 <http://www.wijnne.com/w/typography.html>

* * *

Now, my question becomes: what is the semantically correct way of
marking up these kind of logical divisions within a DocBook (XML)
document?

In HTML documents, the closest logical markup equivalent would appear to
be <hr> - the horizontal rule - but I could not find anything quite like
that in DocBook. The only thing I could come up with was the
<bridgehead> element, but I'm a bit undecided about it - is it
appropriate to use it that way, or is there a better alternative?

--
znark