Subject: RE: [docbook] Dividers and fleurons

What you describe is called a <separator> in XHTML2 [1][2]. One can argue about the merrits of "loose" empty presentational elements [3].

Objections to empty presentational elements in XML stem from a firm belief that all elements *must* be structural and defined in terms of a simple tree graph. Except of course for anchors, and links, and annotations, and floating blocks, and the spawn of the devil: tables. Documents meant for human consumption are not simple tree graphs.

Personally, I have no problem with the definition in XHTML2: "The separator element separates parts of the document from each other." A <separator> is a point that physically divides the context. No containment is implied, it is just a milestone in the progression of the text. Notmuchdifferentfromusingwhitespacebetweenwordstomakereadingamorepleasantexperience.

I'd use <bridgehead renderas="other" otherrenderas="separator"/> (DocBook 5) or <bridgehead role="separator"/>.

Kind regards
Peter Ring

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-structural.html#sec_8.9.
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/04-19-steven-XHTML2-XForms/