Subject: Re: [docbook] On topics

In this discussion, I think a topic map is more akin to a Master
Document. It is similar to DITA's topic map moreso than the XTM (Topic
Map) standard, as it is a way of establishing a sequence or hierarchy of
smaller content components into an assembly.

In the past, I've implemented chapter as an assembly map where chunked
sections (which could also be viewed a kind of topic) are imported by
reference using XInclude or file entity reference. The book would also
be an assembly of the chapter chunks, using the same reference mechanisms.

Best regards,

--Scott

Chris Chiasson wrote:
> What is the definition of a topic map, in this discussion?
>
> On 2/22/07, Keith Fahlgren <abdelazer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2/21/07, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>> > As a general rule, if someone asks for markup "X" and DocBook already
>> > has markup "Y" that can be used for the same purpose without too much
>> > tag abuse, we tend to encourage the requestor to use "Y" instead.
>>
>> I think a lot of the pain of adopting this approach in the past has
>> been the restrictive content models for some of the most obvious
>> elements (dedication, for example). DocBook 5 seems to have remove
>> most of this unnecessary restrictiveness, so perhaps element
>> re-purposing will be easier for many folks once they make the jump to
>> DocBook 5.
>>
>> On the other hand, I certainly understand the unease that many people
>> have with even light tag abuse. We can't really expect people who are
>> forcing semantic markup down others throats (exaggeration, but you
>> know what I mean) to not care about "oh, we'll just call our XXX
>> frontmatter <preface role="very-specialized" label="XXX">")...
>>

>> Keith

begin:vcard
fn:Scott Hudson
n:Hudson;Scott
org:Flatirons Solutions
adr:Suite 200;;4747 Table Mesa Drive ;Boulder;CO;80305;USA
email;internet:scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com
title:Consultant
tel;work:303-542-2146
tel;fax:303-544-0522