Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: [SPAM] [docbook] "xmlto pdf" command fails inTeX/LaTeX step on debian system.

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 11:40:17AM EST, Per Bothner wrote:
> Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> >Java was not provided with Linux distributions (Debian, at least) for a
> >long time because of license issues. This is no longer a problem now
> >since the license terms were recently changed.
>
> You're a little premature.  Only part of JDK (or JRE) has been released
> as Free Software so far, though Sun s announced that all of JDK will
> be becomes Free Software (modulo complications with libraries that
> have other copyright holders.)
>
> There is gcj and other Free Java re-implementations that use the
> ClassPath libraries.  Fedora ships that and many Java applications
> built with those tools; I don't know if Debian does.
> --
> 	--Per Bothner

Thanks to both.  I am going to check this out on the almost-stable
debian "etch" asap.  See if I can get FOP to work. I somehow vaguely
suspected my problem all had to do with restrictions due to java's
proprietary license terms and debian not going anywhere near anything
that might "taint" its distributions but things do become a lot clearer
when you understand the context.

Naturally, I was extremely disappointed when I found out that while html
transformation worked beautifully and my test document was perfectly
rendered via a mere "xtmlto html" .. the pdf/ps transformation just did
not work.

I do apologize for the OT-ness of this thread and I am all the more
grateful for your replies.

Thanks,
cga