Subject: Re: [docbook] docbook5 and adding elements (long)

   I have to apologize to both Dave and Bob, but they've given me far
too much credit for understanding. :)   I'm hoping that I can impose
on your patience for just a little longer.

On 3/17/07, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
> >  >   Do you know of a good step-by-step example of customizing Docbook5
> > with RelaxNG?
> >
> > Have you seen the DocBook 5.0 Transition Guide?  It has examples:
> >
> > http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/

   I had read this before, but it doesn't actually show the basic
mechanics so that I can just use it.  For instance,

  * What programs are used to convert between the compact syntax and
XML syntax? Thanks to the links from Dick Hamilton I understand that
James Clark's 'trang' is most often used, but I'd never know that from
the Transition Guide.

  * How do you use the resulting RelaxNG XML file in a real-world XML
document? I gather from Bob Stayton's reply that I should convert the
RNG files (my customizations + the Docbook5 RNG) to a DTD.  I guess
that means that I should just put a <!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "mynew.DTD">
in the front of the document.  Does that mean that I then throw out
the namespaces?

   I think that the previous example of asmbook (extending Docbook5
with register and instruction elements) is really close, so with
perhaps just a little bit of corrections and gap filling I'll have a
good foundation to build up and test my understanding.  Would it be
possible for someone to post the (hopefully small) corrections to that
example?

  Thanks to everyone so far for their kindness!