Subject: Re: [docbook] Explicit tab and if-neccessary-pagebreaks?

Well, sbr isn't very useful outside of a command synopsis, which is the
only place where it is allowed by the DTD.  There is no general line break
element in DocBook, but you could use a literallayout element which
respects line breaks.

Tabstop is a feature that is not defined in the XSL-FO standard.  Tab
characters are converted
to white space, which is generally collapsed to a single space character
when there is more than one.

DocBook XML and XML in general are designed  to separate content from
formatting.  The formatting should be supplied by the stylesheet.  Indents
are formatting and would not normally be encoded in the DocBook XML  That
said, there are exceptions such as tables that let you specify column
widths and frame styles.  Perhaps an example of what you are trying to do
would help.

Regarding keeping something together, that is an XSL stylesheet feature,
using a property keep-together.within-page="always" on the fo:block
containing the material.  The DocBook stylesheet uses such a keep on formal
objects such as table, example, and figure.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net