Subject: Interest in handling TIFF images with image intrinsic by Norm

Hello,

I realize most of the DocBook developers are swamped with the new features
for the XSL and XML right now.

However, I was wondering how much interest there was in being able to handle
TIFF images with Norm's image intrinsic?

We find ourselves in great need of the ability to handle TIFFs and are
looking at a few possible solutions.  If we get it working in Norm's code
would people like to help beta test?

For those unaware right now all TIFFs report the default value instead of
the imagesize, the same with BMPs and PDFs.  I thought it was the encoding
at first since we compress the TIFF with jpeg compression instead of LZW or
not compressing at all but we just ran a huge batch through to test that
theory and none reported their actual width or depth, after some research on
the internet we found out the default Java image libraries don't support
image intrinsics on TIFF, BMP, and PDF.

Sun came up with the com libraries to handle TIFFs fairly recently, although
it is an extra install.  For those of you already Java programmers, you can
read about the classes that would handle it under:
* class javax.imageio.ImageReadParam
    * class com.sun.media.imageio.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageReadParam

Unfortunately I have not written any Java before so I find myself a bit
lost.  However, we have a summer student coming in that might be able to
help out or if Norm wanted to update it, that would work too.

Thanks,

Julie May
Castle Rock Research