Subject: Re: [docbook] Little black tags in http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ ...

Hi Roland,

On Sonntag, 8. Juli 2007, Roland Mainz wrote:
> [...]
> Erm... my question was:
> 1. Which DocBook tag was used to embed the images ? For my own work I
> am currently using
> -- snip --
> <!ENTITY tag_kshonly      '<inlinemediaobject><imageobject><imagedata
> fileref="images/tag_ksh.png"></imagedata></imageobject><textobject><phr
>ase>[ksh]</phrase></textobject></inlinemediaobject> '>
> <title>&tag_kshonly;&tag_performance;Use builtin commands if the shell
> provides them</title>
> -- snip --
> ... but somehow this doesn't "feel" right (maybe just my feeling is
> wrong...) ... ;-(

As far as I understood, there is only a revision attribute in the refentry
element. You do not need to insert the above inlinemediaobjects manually.
Everything is done automatically through a stylesheet.

* See here the stylesheet (look for the named
templated "revision.graphic"):
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/docbook/trunk/defguide/en/stylesheets/tdg.xsl

* See here an example of a DocBook XML source:
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/docbook/trunk/defguide/en/refpages/elements/termdef/refentry.xml

> 2. Which tools did you use to create images like
> http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/figures/rev_4.3.png ?
>
> I've tried...
> -- snip --
> $ (text="perf" ;
>    pbmtext -nomargins -lspace 0 -builtin fixed "${text}" |
>        pbmtopgm 1 1 |
>        pgmtoppm 1.0,1.0,1.0-0,0,0 /dev/stdin |
>        ppmtogif |
>        giftopnm |
>        pnmtopng >"tag_${text}.png")
> -- snip --
> ... but the result looks like a cross-breed between a truck and a
> garbage can... ;-(
> ... and now I am looking for a "better" solution...

I don't know but what about GIMP or any other graphic tool? Draw an
rectangle and insert the respective text. :)

Bye,
Tom

--
Thomas Schraitle