Subject: Re: Rename firstname and surname?

/ Camille Bégnis <camille@neodoc.biz> was heard to say:
| Hi,
|
| makes sense in French, wondering about other cultures...

I think one of the objections to 'firstname' and 'surname' is that
they're deeply anglo-centric.

I write my name "Norman Walsh" because that's the accepted order in
the culture in which I live and was raised. Had I been raised in a
different cultural tradition, I'd write my name "Walsh Norman". That
wouldn't change semantics of "Norman" or "Walsh" in my name.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to make this change.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | He would like to start from
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | scratch. Where is scratch?--Elias
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Canetti

PGP signature