Subject: Solved

Thanks Dick

Your hint worked with docbook 5. I simply use the following stylesheet
(which includes docbook.xml) as my stylesheet.

<?xml version='1.0'?>
                version='1.0'
                xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/transitional";
                exclude-result-prefixes="#default">

  <xsl:import href="docbook.xsl"/>

  <xsl:variable name="toc.section.depth">3</xsl:variable>
  <!-- Add other variable definitions here -->

  <!-- PHI Style Aug 2007 -->
  <xsl:param name="paper.type">A4</xsl:param>

  <xsl:param name="insert.xref.page.number">yes</xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="local.l10n.xml" select="document('')"/>
  <l:i18n xmlns:l="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/xmlns/l10n/1.0";>
    <l:l10n language="de">
      <l:context name="xref">
        <l:template name="page.citation" text=" (s. S. %p)"/>
      </l:context>
    </l:l10n>
  </l:i18n>

</xsl:stylesheet>