OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting minutes - 15 August 2007

I thought I had sent these out after the meeting, but apparently I did not.
DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 August 2007

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 15 August 2007 at
05:00p EDT (02:00p PDT, 21:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 06:00JST+,
02:30a India+).

1. Roll call

Present: Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Scott Hudson,
Gershon Joseph, Jirka Kosek, Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh,
Larry Rowland (observer), Jim Earley.

Absent: Steve Cogorno, Gary Cornelius, Patricia Gee

2. Accepting the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

Minutes were approved.

3. Next meeting: 19 September 2007


4. Review of the agenda.

No additions.

5. Review of open action items

  a. Norm to fix the element names in TDG.

  b. Bob to organize TDG reading after names are fixed.

6.  DocBook 5.0

Several RFEs may affect release of 5.0, so they were
discussed first.

a.  1770787  Rename firstname and surname

Would prefer adopting an existing name standard,
but it seems there are many and no agreement.
Jirka suggested waiting until 5.1 to make changes.
Norm said it might be backwards incompatible, which
would require doing it in 6.0.
Scott suggested doing it carefully, but not now.
Gershon suggested looking at the XNAL standard, but
that was considered by the TC earlier and rejected.
The TC was pretty evenly split on whether to make
simple changes now, or to leave the whole thing for 6.0.
No one wanted to revisit it next month.
Bob suggested a "bag" of elements, which would allow old
and new to preserve backwards compatibility, but that was rejected.
Jirka suggested improving the descriptions in the
documentation (DocBook: The Definitive Guide).

Some discussion of processing expectations for the order
of the name components.
Larry suggested an attribute for name order, Norm said
the processing expectation is to preserve the order
in the XML.

There was nothing close to agreement, so there will be
no change for 5.0, so will leave this for 6.0.

b. 1722935  DocBook 5: Adding proofreader in @class for othercredit?

The TC passed this to the Publishing Subcommittee
to develop a more complete list.

ACTION: Scott to ask at next meeting for a list.

c. 1759782  Allow <uri> within <address>, <person>, <org>, etc.

The TC was unanimous that uri should be added.

ACTION: Norm to propose content model changes for 5.0.

A DocBook 5 user reported that the DTD and XSD versions
of the DocBook 5 schema require refsect2 and refsect3,
which is a mistake.

ACTION: Norm to fix DTD and XSD versions for refsects.

A July email [2] reported several problems with converting
documents to DocBook 5.0.

ACTION: Norm to investigate the problems.

7.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Current discussion is regarding journals and periodicals.
Looking at the National Library of Medicine standard.

8.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    These RFEs postponed until after 5.0 release
      1097183  Allow Task as a sibling of sections
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation

    RFEs to be considered (as of 13 August):
      1722935  DocBook 5: Adding proofreader in @class for othercredit?
      1759782  Allow <uri> within <address>, <person>, <org>, etc.
      1770787  Rename firstname and surname

These RFEs were reviewed under item #6 above.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200707/msg00004.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200707/msg00044.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]