Subject: Re: [docbook] Directory Tree Representations

That's _almost_ suitable input - the XML source looks like this:

       <filesystem>
         <directory>
           <filesystemname>analysis-1</filesystemname>
           <filesystemdesc></filesystemdesc>

           <directory>
             <filesystemname>static</filesystemname>
             <filesystemdesc>Contains the output of a run of the
             QuickDiagnostic script.</filesystemdesc>

             <file>
               <filesystemname>QTDiagnosticLog.txt</filesystemname>
               <filesystemdesc>The file QuickDiagnostic
               generates</filesystemdesc>
             </file>

             <file>
               <filesystemname>QTDiagnosticLog.txt.log</filesystemname>
               <filesystemdesc>stdout/err for QuickDiagnostic</
filesystemdesc>
             </file>
           </directory>

           <file>
             <filesystemname>profiling_stopped_at_118728</
filesystemname>
             <filesystemdesc>A timestamp of the time the profile-stop
scrip
             completed.</filesystemdesc>
           </file>

           <file>
             <filesystemname>bchd.tgz</filesystemname>
             <filesystemdesc>The bootchart compatible data, see
             below.</filesystemdesc>
           </file>

           <directory>
             <filesystemname>bash.1.1187799454</filesystemname>
             <filesystemdesc>This directory, with the lowest pid, is
a special.
             It contains the memorymap and symbols information for
dynamite and
             the locally installed libraries it has linked
             with.</filesystemdesc>

             <directory>
               <filesystemname>analysisData</filesystemname>
               <filesystemdesc></filesystemdesc>

               <file>
                 <filesystemname>libraries.txt</filesystemname>
                 <filesystemdesc>A list of the libraries linked
                 in.</filesystemdesc>
               </file>

               <file>
                 <filesystemname>symbols.txt</filesystemname>
                 <filesystemdesc>All the symbols we can determine in
each of
                 the mapped libraries and their addresses.</
filesystemdesc>
               </file>
             </directory>
           </directory>

           <directory>
             <filesystemname>bash.2.1187799455</filesystemname>
             <filesystemdesc>The analysis directories containing the
new format
             of sample and region data.</filesystemdesc>
           </directory>
         </directory>
       </filesystem>

The names are placed in their own filesystemname tag so that you can
use other tags within it.  Principally this is to support <phrase>,
plus tags that we've added specially for our product - for example,
<targetos/>. (Actually, I meant to post that here, too - we've added
our own tags - <targetos>, <productfilename> and so on, and use XSLT
to expand them to the appropriate words when we build the
documentation, because we couldn't find a better way).

The names 'filesystemname' and 'filesystemdesc' were chosen because I
didn't know if it was acceptable to use generic-sounding 'name' and
'description' tags in such a specific context.

I extended the Docbook 5 RELAX NG schema to add these elements - I
wanted the XMLMind XML Editor to have full support for visually
editing these trees, so that was a requirement.

So currently my work consists of extensions to:

   - The RELAX NG Schema
   - The XMLMind CSS files for Docbook 5
   - XSLT to generate HTML and FO for these tags.

How do people generally distribute these enhancements - do they get
rolled into the main Docbook schema, or is there some mechanism for
distributing and managing these enhancements?

Thanks,

Geraint North
Principal Engineer
Transitive