Subject: Re: [docbook] Recommendation on V4.5 DTD vs. V5.0 RELAX NG

On 17/09/2007, Joachim Ziegler <ziegler@mpi-sb.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have been searching through the archives and through the web for about
> 2 hours, but could not find a recommendation, so I just ask here:
>
> I want to start a new DocBook project from scratch, using the usual Unix
> toolchain (Emacs, XSLT stylesheets, xsltproc, Apache's FOP etc.).
>
> Which version of DocBook should I use? The DTD or the schema?

Hi Joachim, I can't give an absolute recommendation but I've
successfully migrated to a DocBook 5.0 toolchain (vim instead of
emacs, sorry) and my current employers and converting around about
1000 book titles (all sorts of trade titles) to a schema based on
DocBook 5.0. They seem to have confidence that it'll work (of course,
so do I as made the recommendation).

> I have successfully worked on a DocBook project some yeas ago, where I
> used V4.3 and the toolchain as mentioned above. Is it worth to upgrade
> my knowledge? Are the tools stable enough to not get in trouble with my
> customer?
>
> Thank you for any advice.
>
> Regards,
> Joachim Ziegler