Subject: Re: [docbook] Marking up marginalia notes...

Stuart Hungerford <stuart.hungerford@anu.edu.au>, 2007-09-19 14:37 +1000:

> My project is using DocBook 5.0 to markup the contents of some
> older (19th century) publications.

That sounds like what TEI is intended for. Is there a reason you
decided to use DocBook instead of TEI?

> Some of these publications have paragraphs with notes printed
> next to them in the margin in much smaller type.
>
> I'm searching for the most semantically useful DocBook elements
> to use for marking up these notes.  I'm looking at the <note>
> and the <callout> element but I also need to capture the
> fact that margin notes "belong" with the paragraph they're
> printed with.
>
> Can anyone suggest a better approach?

The annotation element and annotations attribute:

  http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/annotation.html
  http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/ref-elements.html#db.cmn.annotations

You can associate an annotation with a particular element either
by putting an "annotations" attribute on the element, with its value
set to the xml:id value of the annotation; or you can do it by
putting an "annotates" attribute on the annotation, with its value
set to the xml:id of the element it annotates.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/