Subject: RE: [docbook] maintaining customized docbook xsl files

Anthony,

If you already have a customization layer, then you can
simply include the replacement file in your customization
layer using:

<xsl:include href="myfiles/foo.xsl"/>

If you haven't got a customization layer yet, Bob Stayton's
DocBook XSL book has a section on how to create customization
layers at this URL:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomMethods.html#CustomizationLayer

The basic idea is to create a local xsl file that imports
the standard xsl stylesheet, then adds your customizations.
Those customizations can be put directly in your local xsl
file, or can be included from another file as shown above.

Then, instead of calling your xsl processor with the standard
xsl stylesheest, you call your local xsl stylesheet, which in
turn pulls in the standard sheets.  Bob's description at the
URL above goes into detail and gives you some examples that
should make things clearer.  BTW, If you're going to be doing
a lot of DocBook XSL work, his book is worth every penny.

Hope that helps.

Dick Hamilton

P.S.  I'm copying this to the docbook-apps list, which is where
      this kind of question should normally go.

http://chovy.dyndns.org/resume/
http://utuxia.com/consulting