Subject: Re: [docbook] Getting started: editors, direct rendering, which DTD?

On Monday 15 October 2007 16:47, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Ian S. Worthington wrote:
> > Many thanks for your reply.
> >
> > Thank you for your forbearance: my wording was indeed incorrect.  I wish
> > to *transform* the documents in the reader's browser, if this is at all
> > possible.
>
> Until you are used to docbook, xslt then I'd suggest you try
> a command line based approach - it will reduce the frustration.

Umm, I don't know if this works for real, I was hoping to get around to
experimenting in the future, but I read someplace that
with a mixed content document structured as follows -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<book version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
          xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>

   ... main DocBook stuff ...
   ... followed by trailing xhtml script element ...
  <xhtml:script type="text/javascript" src="dbk2htmltrans.js" />
</book>

- potentially you could use javascript and the DOM model within the
browser to map the docbook into HTML and render it. I vaguely recall
that the script element had to be at the end, because it was executed
immediately after it was encountered, so otherwise the document
would not be entirely loaded.
If it actually works then possibly you could generate internal hyperlinks.

Truly a shot in the dark ...