Subject: Re: [docbook] invalid characters for ISO-8859-1 response

That answers the question about how to change the output
encoding...but why is it inserting a non-breaking space
character...vs. just a regular old space (as is the input).

Why does "Some Title" become "Some<nobr-space-char>Title"??

It should just remain.

I think i've traced it down to normalize-space(); but not sure:

./common/gentext.xsl

<xsl:template match="*" mode="object.title.markup.textonly">
  <xsl:variable name="title">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="object.title.markup"/>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space($title)"/>
</xsl:template>