Subject: Re: [docbook] invalid characters for ISO-8859-1 response

On 10/31/07, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
> Adding omit-xml-declaration="yes" to the xsl:output should take care of the
> first problem.

Great...will add that.

> Regarding the meta tag, can I ask if you are using xsltproc?   That tag is
> not generated by the stylesheet, but by xsltproc when the output public
> doctype matches the public id of an XHTML DTD.  It seems to be a built-in
> feature, and always uses the declared output encoding.

I'm using libxml2 I think (XML::LibXSLT perl module)

> Why doesn't encoding="ISO-8859-1" in your xsl:output work?  Why is US-ASCII
> necessary?

Because with ascii I get &#140; instead of "!@?" when I edit the file
by hand...plus it the browsers will show the space properly using the
entity instead of the "A-hat" which is what I see if I don't use
US-ASCII.

I'm not sure if changing the output type in html is enough, or if
there is some binary metadata in the file itself that says what the
output encoding is.