Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook and Schematron

Hi Giuseppe,

> What's the implication of Schematron in DocBook?

Well, as far as I can tell, DocBook 5 contains Schematron to test different
"assertions" that are not easy or possible to implement in RNG. For example,
one Schematron rule (is this the correct term?) is there to check for a version
attribute in a root element. As there can be many, it is cumbersome to
implemented this restriction into RELAX NG. Therefor it is delegated to
Schematron. I has some similarities to XPath and XSLT. You can search for
elements in the docbook.rn{c,g} file that are bound to the namespace
"http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron"; or look into the file docbook.sch.

> If my customized DocBook schema is based on RNG, should I also
> care about schematron?

Depends. :) I guess, in most cases you don't have to care. Generally,
DocBook elements are easy to remove and easy to add. On the other
side, if you need special checks that are not easy mapped into a
RELAX NG rule/pattern, then you could consider Schematron.

> Furthermore, what's the purpose of file "docbook.nvdl"?

That's the "Namespace-based Validation Dispatching Language", see [1].
With the help of this file and a respective validator that supports NVDL,
you can validate XML documents that are composed of different
Schemas *without* customizing the original one.

A good explanation can be found here [2].

Tom