Subject: Re: [docbook] On family/given/first/last names

Quoting Geraint North <geraint@transitive.com>:

> I thought this, and then I thought "Why would I ever want to do such a
> thing?".  I read a fair few research papers, and I don't think I've
> ever thought "I wonder who is referenced in this document whose name
> begins with 'M'?"  Sorting does make search easier if you've got the
> paper printed out and so have to search manually yourself, but in that
> case, an effective sort should be driven by the expectations of the
> reader, rather than the preferences of the cited individual - if the
> readers of the paper are predominantly western, then the arrangement
> should reflect their expectations, however incorrect they might be.

I was rather thinking about the "classic" case of having to find a
reference in the back of an article which is cited using an
author/year style. In practice, I still read about half of all
articles on paper (to scribble notes on or, well, to take it to the
loo...). In an electronic version it is obviously easier to just
follow a link.

All this means that you have to provide the publisher with a regular
display form of your name and a sorting-optimized form? Or do you
expect the publishers to figure out how to display your name in a
sorted-by-author listing? In the latter case you wouldn't get around
the first/last/whatever name markup to help the publisher get it right
for their audience.

regards,
Markus

--