Subject: Re: [docbook] On family/given/first/last names

-On [20071211 00:19], doug (doug.duboulay@gmail.com) wrote:
>I always thought bibtex was the defacto standard for bibliography
>ordering and formatting with its First von Last Jr.  splitting
>- as described e.g. point 18 here:
>   http://newton.ex.ac.uk/tex/pack/bibtex/btxdoc/node8.html

To add my i18n/g11n/l10n voice to this:

BibTex' format is woefully inadequate for author names to do them proper
cultural justice. And in some cultures such mishandling of names can even be
considered offensive.

Add to that my voice as having worked for a university library and its
e-publishing department I can also easily say that BibTex might be a standard
for some exact science fields, but it is not by far a standard for all. Most
organizations that get paper submissions publish their own standards for
citation use and are often inspired by the Chicago Manual of Style or related
publications. Most people just use EndNote or Zotero to auto-generate citation
formats and be done with it.

So, no, the world is not so clear as you might hope it to be when it comes to
bibliography and its use. :)

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
In every stone sleeps a crystal...