Subject: Footnote element, label attributes, DocBook 5

Hi

I've been working with some data converters to get a large chunk of the Penguin backlist converted into XML. We've had some feedback from the converters about footnotes. The label attribute for footnotes is typed as NMTOKEN in the schema. As far as I can see, any other element which has a label attribute has the type set as 'text'.

Have our converters hit a bug here or is there a subtle reason I haven't worked out?

The problem for the converters is that some of our older texts don't use alphanumerics as footnote labels, they use things like asterisks and crosses. Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

cheers

nic

--
Nic Gibson