Subject: RE: [docbook] Is it possible to split chapters ?

Kate,

If you are able to use xinclude in your environment, one option
would be to make each of the three files a "dummy" chapter, then
use xinclude to grab just the sect1s from each file.

Here's a short example:

book.xml:
  <!DOCTYPE book --- etc./>  <book>
  --- title, info, etc.
       <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
                   href="chapter.xml"
                   xpointer="xpointer(/chapter/sect1[*])"/>
    </chapter>
    --- other chapters
  </book>

chapter.xml:
  <!DOCTYPE chapter --- etc./>
    <sect1><title>Section 1</title>
     --- content for section 1
    </sect1>
    <sect1><title>Section 2</title>
     --- content for section 2
    </sect>
  </chapter>

When you resolve the xincludes, for example with xmllint, the
result will be a file that looks like this:

  <!DOCTYPE book --- etc./>
  <book>
  --- title, info, etc.
    <sect1><title>Section 1</title>
     --- content for section 1
    </sect1>
    <sect1><title>Section 2</title>
     --- content for section 2
    </sect>
    </chapter>
    --- other chapters
  </book>

The only caveat here is that I have no idea how this solution
will work with XMetal; I haven't tried xinclude with XMetal.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Dick Hamilton
rlhamilton@frii.com