Subject: Simply viewing DB

I came across a piece of free software documentation (and glad to
find any documentation at all besides source code!) that from the
file extension is SGML and from content of the first line is
apparently a DocBook document.  I tended to go cross-eyed, however,
when I tried to (human-) read the d___ thing.  Firefox shows a giant,
undifferentiated and still partially marked-up blob of text.

Is there a simple way to view even a crudely formatted version of
such a document without becoming a docbook weenie, learning new
languages, installing 'tool chains' and 'envirionments', etc.?  If it
happened to involve using an editor application, I could ignore that
bit, as long as it is quick to download [on dialup :-(  ] and SIMPLE
to install.

I spent a good portion of last evening fruitlessly skimming over
reams of DB FAQs, beginners' guides and tutorials, searching for
'DocBook viewer', etc., and for what it's worth, it seems to me that
the DB community is doing a great deal of inward navel-gazing.

This whole thing seems to be a sort of 'meta-document' movement
that's in danger of losing perspective about what ought to be the
ultimate goal of any documentation project: to inform people.  Has it
occurred to anyone that DocBook files might fall into end-users'
laps?  Could it be a useful format in its own right?  We don't expect
users of other formats to become developers, installing preprocessors
for our .rtf or .pdf or whatever files.  We fire up a widely
available application, and we JUST VIEW THEM.

Bit of a flame, eh?  Oh well...

-Mrnatural