Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook SCs

Hi Mike,

I don't mind at all :-)

We worked with Norm Walsh to define what the "core DocBook" set of
elements should be, and what elements should be defined in a hardware
module, software module, publishing module (after all what software docs
need poems?), etc.

Norm had already organized the schemas a fair amount in this direction,
and we helped to formalize it a bit. The new DocBook v5.0 schemas are
designed with this modularity in mind, and allows new modules to be
defined either with custom modules or as future committee developments.

That's the beauty of RelaxNG. It makes it so much easier to provide and
manage this modularity.

If you could all do me a favor and tap your favorite XML Editor vendor
and make sure they add support for RelaxNG (full and compact syntax)
validation, it would go a long way. I've tried pinging them, and they
say there's just not enough customer demand yet. IMO, it's time to start
demanding! If we can get better tool support, it will be much easier for
folks to build their custom modules and incorporate official modules to
support the content they need to produce!

Best regards,

--Scott