Subject: Re: [docbook] part/chapter numbers

Another attribute common to most elements is the remap attribute. It is used
to record information about where a converted element came from, and could
be used to hold the number. The difference is that if you use the label
attribute, the stylesheets will output it instead of a generated number,
while remap is not currently output by the stylesheets.  It depends on if
you want to output the old number or just record it.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Schraitle" <tom_schr@web.de>
To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 10:36 AM

Hi Dieter,

On Montag, 3. November 2008, Dieter Baron wrote:

> I'm in the process of converting etexts using the Gutenberg DTDs
> (http://gutenberg.hwg.org/) to Docbook.

Good luck! :-)

>   These documents (can) use explicit part/chapter numbering (using
> <partnum> and <chapnum> tags).  This allows to retain the original
> numbering and naming scheme.  Is there a way to put this information
> into a docbook document?  (I know I could probably do this by
> customizing the style sheets, but I'd rather not keep a separate style
> sheet for each book.)

I haven't tried it, but you could use the attribute "label":

  http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/part.html
  label
  Label specifies an identifying string for presentation purposes. The
  first Part in a Book might be labeled “Part I”, for example.

  Generally, an explicit Label attribute is used only if the processing
  system is incapable of generating the label automatically. If present,
  the Label is normative; it will used even if the processing system is
  capable of automatic labelling.

Bye,
Tom

--