Subject: Question

I'm looking at embedded code in docbook 5.

<programlisting>

$very long command line

</programlisting>

The problem is that I want to extract the command line
as working code, from the docbook, hence I can't embed
pseudo newlines/line break characters, as I would
for documentation.

Since I don't want to 'unwrap' all short lines,
I'm looking at ?? an extension ?? purely for
documentation?

<programlisting>

<line>$very long command line <linebreak/> etc etc

</line>

</programlisting>

I.e. to intimate that at <linebreak/> I want
(for the docbook 'print' output) a newline inserted
to keep the page width reasonable.

Is this / should this be an extension,
or might it be considered of sufficiently general use
for adoption?

Processing would be to replace the element with
a media appropriate break.

regards

regards

--