Subject: How to remove space after tag?

The editor I am using reformats the DocBook 5 XML source file.  This
becomes an issue when some of the characters in a word are bolded.
Below are two examples that bolds the first letter of the word
"Insert".  The first example produces the correct output, but the
second listing adds a space between the "I" and the "n"
<entry>
  <emphasis role="strong">I</emphasis>nsert
</entry>

<entry>
  <emphasis role="strong">I</emphasis>
  nsert
</entry>

Since the example is the result of my editor's reformatting and I do
not want the space after the first letter of the word, I am looking
for suggestions.

Paul Spencer