Subject: Re: [docbook] w3.org won't serve DTD imbedded in Docbook generated output - but only to IE

This seems to be an IE7 quirk with the W3C web server.  These URLs are
published in the XHTML standard as the place to get these DTDs.  In the
XHTML 1.0 standard document on the W3C website, the links to the strict and
transitional DTDs don't work in IE7, they just say "No" (which sounds like a
joke almost), but the link to the frameset DTD *does* work.  Why the
inconsistency?  These links should work for all browsers, and the DTDs
should be cached in the browser after the first fetch.  I don't understand
why they don't work now.  Below is the mail I sent to the W3C webmaster.
I'll let you know if I get an explanation of this odd behavior.

Have you noticed that the links to the XHTML 1.0 DTDs are not accessible to
an HTTP request from Internet Explorer version 7?  When I open the XHTML
standards document:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

and scroll down to section A.1.1 and click on this link,

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd

my IE7 browser just displays "No".  When I use View Source, it also just
says "No".

I get the same result when I scroll down to section A.1.2 and click on its
link:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd

BUT. here is the kicker: when I scroll down to section A.1.3 in the same
document and click on this link:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd

then my IE7 browser properly asks if I want to download the dtd file.

What gives?  These are the published addresses of the DTDs, so why
can't I get the DTDs from my browser?   When I click on the same links from
Firefox, it always asks if I want to download the DTD file.

Is something set in your HTTP server to reject these requests from IE7?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net