Subject: Re: [docbook] w3.org won't serve DTD imbedded in Docbook generatedoutput - but only to IE

DavePawson wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
>> Below is the mail
>> I sent to the W3C webmaster. I'll let you know if I get an explanation
>> of this odd behavior.
>
> http://www.outofcontrol.ca/2009/02/20/w3org-dtdxhtml1-strictdtd-blocks-windows-ie-users/

     BTW, this was written by the opengl.org webmaster - it's the very same
problem I originally asked about here.

> W3C staffer suggests using a catalog... Is that possible with IE?

     In a sense it really doesn't matter whether it is or not, because it is
something that consumers of our documentation would have to be told to do, not
something we can just make work for them. We ended up postprocessing the
generated XHTML to strip the w3c.org path and added cached local copies of
the DTD and .xml files it refers to. Maybe someday Microsoft will issue an
IE fix, or the stylesheets will offer a workaround, or w3c.org will have a
change of heart - but this seems to be the only practical solution for now.
     There's a RISKS posting lurking in here somewhere about invisible
dependencies on external resources that may stop being available,
for whatever reason.
     Jon