Subject: RE: [docbook] Evaluating DocBook and DITA

Eric,

You may check that link:
http://community.livetechdocs.com/blog/docbook-dita/single-source-documentat
ion-docbook-versus-dita

I can put you in touch with the author, a technical writer, who worked with
both technologies. She is not a consultant and has nothing to sell :-)

Best
Fabrice

-----Original Message-----
From: Rowland, Larry [mailto:larry.rowland@hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:39 PM
To: Dick Hamilton; 'Eric Johnson'; docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

Eric,

This is a pretty complex decision point.  A couple of suggestions:

* Mocking up sample content in both schemas is a good idea.  Make sure you
have an expert in each doing the mockups.  It can be very misleading to have
someone knowledgeable in one schema trying to work in a different schema;
the results you get can be misleading if the person doing the samples is
more familiar with one markup scheme than the other.  Make sure you have
equivalent expertise available in both schemas.

*) Consider a consultant with broad experience in both solutions.  Be aware
of the single solution consultant with lots of background in one area and
little in the other.  The conclusion is pretty likely to be the hammer the
consultant is familiar with.  Consultants can cost but can save you from
making mistakes that can be even more costly.  Ask around for
recommendations.

*) Beware of vendors trying to sell a solution.  Even vendors that claim to
support both frequently have biases that have to do with how well their
solution deals with the schema in question.  It is better to have a solution
in mind before approaching the vendors.

Good luck.  There is a lot to consider in this type of decision.

Best Regards,
Larry Rowland