OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.

 


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]


Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 July2009


Cedric,

would it be possible to have you post your comments to the official 
OASIS comment list?

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=docbook

I want to make sure we are following proper OASIS procedures.

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott
Chair, DocBook Publishers subcommittee

Mimil Mimil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just have a little comment on  8.Publishing Subcommittee report ...  
> Scott suggests everyone read it and provide comments.
>
> With an external view (no knowledge of publishing) I wondered what is 
> the real motivation to have 3 distinct elements (dialogue, drama, 
> poetry) because they seem to have the same goal "speeches" and also 
> have the same xml definition in the spec 
> (http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/publishers-1.0-spec-cd-01.pdf)
> If the definition is the same, isn't the role attribute sufficient 
> within a single dialogue element?
> Or is it a choice made to simplify the stylesheet work as these 
> elements really need a different printing layout?
>
> Best regards,
> CÚdric,
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net 
> <mailto:bobs@sagehill.net>> wrote:
>
>     DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 July 2009
>     =============================================================
>
>     The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 15 July 2009 at
>     01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
>     022:30p India+) for 85 minutes.
>
>     1. Roll call
>
>     Present: Paul Grosso, Gershon Joseph, Scott Hudson, Dick
>     Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton,
>     Norm Walsh.
>
>     Absent: Jim Earley, Keith Falhgren, Patricia Gee, Jirka Kosek, Corey
>     Leong, Dave Pawson, John Pederson, Pine Zhang
>
>     2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.
>
>     3. Next meeting: 19 August 2009
>
>     No regrets so far.
>
>     4. Review of the agenda.
>
>     Add new RFE 2820947 "Ability to transclude text" as 9b.
>
>     5. Review of open action items
>
>      a. Bob to organize TDG reading after names are fixed.
>      REMOVE (see agenda item 7)
>
>      b. Jirka to add schema comparison table to DocBook 5.0 Transition
>     Guide.
>      COMPLETED
>
>      c. Norm to work with Mary to make Publishing Subcommittee
>        schema a Committee Working Draft.
>      COMPLETED
>
>      d. Norm to work with Keith and Scott to update the OASIS committee
>        site to make the Publishing Subcommittee Working Draft
>        publicly available.
>      CONTINUE
>
>      e. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the spec.
>      CONTINUE
>
>      f. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the
>        reference documentation.
>      CONTINUE
>
>      g. Norm will update 5.1 with changes to initializer
>        content model.
>      COMPLETED
>
>      h. Norm to take a look at the inlines and make a proposal
>        regarding RFE 2791288.
>      CONTINUE
>
>     6.  DocBook 5.0 standards update.
>
>     Norm is working with Mary to submit DocBook 5.0 as an
>     OASIS Standard.  It should be ready to go by the
>     end of this week.
>
>     7.  New edition of DocBook: The Definitive Guide
>     Dick and Norm announced that O'Reilly will be publishing
>     a new edition of DocBook: The Definitive Guide.
>     Norm suggests that the committee review the
>     reference pages when they are ready.  He hopes to
>     have them ready by 1 September.
>
>     8.  Publishing Subcommittee report.
>
>     "The DocBook Publishers Schema Version 1.0" Committee Draft
>     specification [2] is available for review.  The review
>     period will end 31 August.  Scott suggests everyone read
>     it and provide comments.
>
>     9. Using a map for modular DocBook.
>
>     Discussion of Larry's second sample of DocBook assembly.
>
>     Norm raised concerns about the renderas attribute as well
>     as importing foreign content such as DITA or other schemas.
>     That implies some transformation process, and will the
>     committee specify that?
>
>     Gershon: DITA uses specializations of topicref
>     in the bookmap schema to indicate how a topic is to be
>     represented. He also pointed out that in DITA maps,
>     topicref can only refer to a topic element.
>     In DocBook assembly, any DocBook element can be included, and the
>     renderas attribute allows the
>     author to indicate how it would be represented.
>
>     Larry: for foreign content, perhaps have a section in
>     the assembly that identifies a stylesheet to be used
>     for transforming content during the assembly.
>
>     Bob: we should separate including DocBook content (easy)
>     from including foreign content (harder).
>
>     Norm: transformations are defined by the implementation.
>     We may provide some reference implementations.
>
>     Larry: assembling a help system requires different
>     processing from assembling a book.
>
>     Norm: put an "outputtype" attribute on the structure element
>     as a whole to indicate how it should be processed overall,
>     and use renderas at the element level to map one element
>     to another.
>
>     Bob: One assembly mode is to map all referenced elements
>     into a valid DocBook book, so nested topics would
>     become sections, for example.  Another assembly mode
>     creates a structured TOC and processes each reference
>     separately (similar to the DocBook Website customization),
>     without assembling it into a book first.  
>     Larry: may use an attribute on elements to indicate
>     chunking level.
>
>     ACTION: Larry to create a new assembly example for next meeting.
>
>     9b.  RFE 2820947 "Ability to transclude text".
>
>     First we discussed conref since the requestor mentioned it.
>     Gershon and Paul described problems with implementing
>     conref, including hard coding references. Gershon suggested
>     that DITA's keyref, which uses a level of indirection,
>     would be more flexible.  A note from Eliot Kimber
>     didn't reach the list in time, so it will be reviewed
>     for the next meeting.
>
>     Paul: use existing standards such as XInclude with xpointer.
>     Creating new schemes is a whole big thing.
>
>     Bob: the xpointer scheme is not a standard, so there is no way
>     to include all the children of an element without including
>     the element itself.  That can help with the problem of duplicate
>     ids when importing the same content more than once.
>
>     Paul: If the children that are imported have IDs, then
>     the duplicate ID problem remains.
>
>     Norm: perhaps we could define some small subset of
>     xpointer scheme.
>
>     We will continue this item next month, referring to it
>     as "transclusion" rather than "conref".
>
>
>     10. Add topic element (RFE #2820190).
>
>     Bob described his proposal for a new topic element.
>     Norm said the need for a specific element for
>     standalone topics still exists, and this proposal meets the need.
>      Larry thought allowing some
>     elements to serve as containers of a sequence of
>     topics was a good idea.
>     ACTION: Norm to create a DocBook 5 customization layer
>     with topic, so we can experiment.
>
>     ACTION: Bob to present the proposal to the docbook
>     mailing list when Norm has the customization done.
>
>
>     11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement
>
>       To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
>
>         http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;
>     <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;>;
>         group_id=21935&atid=384107&aid=XXXX
>
>       RFEs to revisit for 6.0
>         1907003  biblioid content model too broad  
>       RFEs to be considered     1679665  Add better support for
>     modular documentation  
>     Discussed as item 9.
>
>         2770858  Add limited emphasis to ubiquitous inlines    
>     2791288  add quote to corpauthor and gui elements
>     Awaiting Norm's action item.
>
>         2820190  add a topic element  
>     Discussed as item 10.
>
>     Meeting adjourned at 2:25pm EDT.
>     -----
>
>     [1]
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200905/msg00009.html
>     [2]
>     http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/publishers-1.0-spec-cd-01.pdf
>
>     Bob Stayton
>     Sagehill Enterprises
>     bobs@sagehill.net <mailto:bobs@sagehill.net>
>
>
>
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>     <mailto:docbook-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org>
>     For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-help@lists.oasis-open.org
>     <mailto:docbook-help@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
>


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]