OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 August 2009

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 August 2009

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 19 August 2009 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+) for 90 minutes.


1. Roll call

Present: Chris Chung, Patricia Gee, Paul Grosso, Nancy
Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Larry Rowland,
Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh.  We have a quorum.

Regrets: Dick Hamilton

Absent: Jim Earley, Keith Falhgren, Jirka Kosek, Corey
Leong, Dave Pawson, John Pederson, Pine Zhang

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 16 September 2009


4. Review of the agenda.

No changes.

5. Review of open action items

  a. Norm to work with Mary to make Publishing Subcommittee
     schema a Committee Working Draft.

  b. Norm to work with Keith and Scott to update the OASIS committee
     site to make the Publishing Subcommittee Working Draft
     publicly available.

  c. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the spec.

  d. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the
     reference documentation.

  e. Norm to take a look at the inlines and make a proposal
     regarding RFE 2791288.

  f. Larry to create a new assembly example for next meeting.

  g. Norm to create a DocBook 5 customization layer
     with topic, so we can experiment.

  h. Bob to present the proposal to the docbook
     mailing list when Norm has the customization done.

6.  DocBook 5.0 standards update.

Norm says all the bits are in place, and he will get together
with Mary this week to push it forward to become an OASIS Standard.

7.  New edition of DocBook: The Definitive Guide 

Not much progress on content, but Norm thinks he has a
format for the content models that is more compact
for publication.

8.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Waiting for comments on the proposed specification [2].
The comment period closes August 31.

9. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Larry presented the new features of the latest sample for
assembling modular content [3].

He uses type attributes (text) rather than class (enumerated)
because it needs to be application specific.

The renderas attribute should default to "auto", so that it
is used only to change the element from its original name.

The grammartransforms element was added, e.g. for converting DITA
input to DocBook before assembly.

A navtitle element was added to module for a navigational title
that is used when the resource in assembled.

Norm suggested that the output attributes become elements instead.
Larry will add those.

Bob asked if resource elements nest.  The answer is no, they are
a flat list, and all nested structure comes in the structure
element whose module elements reference resource elements.

Larry asked if an info element should be added to module.
Some discussion of how module and resource info information
should be merged.  No big interest in including info in
module just yet.

Bob asked how introductory blocks of text that appear between
a chapter title and the first section would be handled.
Larry suggested putting it in a section element, and
the module referencing that resource would specify 
attributes contentonly="yes" and omittitle="yes".

Scott suggested adding a description attribute to each resource.
These could be used to generate a manifest with descriptions,
for example.

ACTION: Larry to send out new sample and RelaxNG schema with
the latest changes.

Bob suggested that members start testing the assembly 
mechanism so any problems that arise can be addressed.

10. Transclusion feature (REF #2820947)

The discussion pointed out that transclusion is complicated
by duplicate id instances and the handling of xpath syntax.
The Committee felt that transclusion is a general problem
that is not specific to DocBook, and would prefer that
it be developed as an XML standard rather than a DocBook

ACTION: Norm to reply to the RFE with these concerns.

11. Add topic element (RFE #2820190).

Bob created a RelaxNG customization of DocBook 5 that
includes a topic element and posted it to the docbook
mailing list. [4] 

The comments on the list were generally favorable,
but several expressed concern about managing linking
between topics, where the target of a link might not
be present in a given assembly.  Avoiding inline links
is one solution, as is using conditional text to turn
off omitted links.  The Committee sugested that the
relationship element in an assembly could establish
generated links. Also, adding a related links element to
the topic element would enable moving inline links to a
specific element where they could be better managed.
Such local links and assembly links would
be merged in each topic upon output.

The group working on the assembly mechanism considered
something like DITA's reltable mechanism, but felt the
relationship element was more flexible.

12.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2770858  Add limited emphasis to ubiquitous inlines 
Awaiting Norm's proposal.

      2791288  add quote to corpauthor and gui elements 
Awaiting Norm's proposal.

      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      2821653  indexterms in footnotes 
ACTION: Bob to test if indexterms work in footnotes in FO output.

Meeting adjourned at 2:30pm EDT.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200907/msg00019.html
[2] http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/publishers-1.0-spec-cd-01.pdf
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200908/msg00002.html
[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200907/msg00042.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]