Subject: Re: Copyright/license of transition guide?

Am Montag, den 24.08.2009, 22:01 +0200 schrieb Jirka Kosek:
> Daniel Leidert wrote:
>
> > To package the DocBook 5.0 transition guide together with the schemas
> > and DTD for Debian, I need to know copyright and license information.
> > Does the license/copyright statement from the schemas apply to the Howto
> > too?
>
> Hi,
>
> license from schemas doesn't apply to Howto. We started discussion about
> appropriate license few months ago, but this stalled.
>
> Would the following license fit Debian?
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

First, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately this license does not fit
the requirements of the Debian project - the Debian Free Software
Guidelines (DFSG) [1]. It wouldn't allow us or a user to modify the
source - not even to fix a typo or to create a translation.

[2] contains a list of acceptable licenses for the Debian project. I
don't know your discussion, so I cannot make a suggestion (why not an
BSD license or an MIT/X license?). Why do you want to forbid derivatives
works?

In question, I suggest to continue this dicussion on the debian-legal
mailing list [3].

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/