OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 September 2009

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 September 2009

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 16 September 2009 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+) for 90 minutes.

1. Roll call

Present: Patricia Gee, Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Nancy
Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland,
Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh.  We have a quorum.

Regrets: Scott Hudson 

Absent: Chris Chung, Jim Earley, Keith Falhgren, Corey
Leong, Dave Pawson, John Pederson, Pine Zhang

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 21 October 2009

Dick Hamilton may not make it.

4. Review of the agenda.

Agenda accepted.

5. Review of open action items

  a. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the spec.

  b. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the
     reference documentation.

  c. Norm to take a look at the inlines and make a proposal
     regarding RFE 2791288.

  d. Larry to send out new assembly sample and RelaxNG schema with
     the latest changes.

  e. Norm to reply to RFE 2820947 (transclusion) with the
     committee's concerns (see the minutes).

  f. Bob to test if indexterms work in footnotes in FO output.

6.  DocBook 5.0 standards update.

Norm reported completion of the OASIS Standard submission
process, so it should go out to a full OASIS vote
15 to 30 October.

7.  New edition of DocBook: The Definitive Guide 

No update this month.

8.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Scott Hudson sent in his report via separate email:

SC met to discuss comment on specification and drafted a response.

Comments that will be addressed include:
1. Embed element documentation in schema
2. Generate a DTD version

Due to the new OASIS policy, these changes will require an additional 15 
day review.

I hope to address these changes quickly, but will notify the TC when the 
new schema is ready.

9. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Extensive discussion of Sample 4 prepared by Larry
in response to last meetings discussion.

Larry added description attributes, and converted output attributes
to output elements to make them more flexible.  The filterin
and filterout attributes were added for profiling.  The renderas
attribute was added to output elements as well, so that one module
could be rendered differently for different outputs.
The contentonly attribute was added to allow 
selecting an element's children minus its wrapper.
The omittitles attribute could be used to skip the
title of an imported element.

Norm wondered if a more general transform mechanism would
be needed for things like contentonly and omittitles.
Larry said they considered a subset of XPath, but didn't
really need it and it would add considerable complexity
to the processing.

Norm questioned how the renderas attribute value was
inherited by following-sibling modules, and wondered if
those should each have their own attribute.  Larry said
that renderas="auto" was the default, but its meaning
needs clear definition.  A value of "auto" means that
if the root element of the resource is valid at the
location of the module, then use that element name.
Otherwise, the value of the preceding sibling module with
a renderas attribute would apply.  Not clear yet 
what happens if no preceding sibling renderas.

Gershon questioned the use of info element.

Gershon wondered if @type can have more than one value.
Larry clarified the difference between @type and @outputformat.
@type has user-defined values.

Gershon asked why filterin and filterout were mutually
exclusive.  The filterin sets a profile condition for
inclusion, and filterout sets one for exclusion.
Bob gave an example of where both could be present if
different profiling attributes were used.  We resolved
to allow both elements.

Gershon asked if @outputformat could be inherited from
ancestor elements.  Larry said we could add a @defaultoutputformat
to structure to set the default for all of its descendants,
which could be overridden for individual descendants.
Larry pointed out that the attribute is already multi-valued.

Gershon pointed out that the behavior of navtitle is different
from the same element in DITA, which could create confusion
for users of both.  Norm suggested using titleabbrev instead
of navtitle to avoid the confusion.

Gerson asked if outputfile could be used to suppress chunking
of an element.  Larry suggested a @chunk attribute whose value
could be "no" to turn off chunking of an element that would
otherwise be chunked, a value of "yes" to chunk an element
that would not otherwise be chunked, or "auto" (the default)
which means to follow the rules of the chunker.

Gershon asked about the empty index element as a child of module,
when it could be at the top level as its own element.  Bob
suggested that <index/> be made a child of a resource element
and pointed to by an empty module with a resourceref attribute.
But no other resource element has content.  Bob also pointed
out that although indexes are generated, they sometimes have
a type (selected indexterms instead of all terms), and
sometimes has preamble content.  We will investigate
indexes and TOCs some more.

ACTION: Bob to develop a stylesheet to transform an assembly
into a document.

ACTION: Gershon to develop a reltable example.

ACTION: Larry to revise the same and schema based on comments.

The committee ran out of time at this point and adjourned
with no further actions.

10. Add topic element (RFE #2820190).

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2770858  Add limited emphasis to ubiquitous inlines 
      2791288  add quote to corpauthor and gui elements 
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      2821653  indexterms in footnotes 


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200908/msg00003.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]