Subject: RE: [docbook] Why use DocBook when there is HTML?

Perhaps Mr. Pilgrim never quite got the hang of separating semantic content from layout. And if he abandoned DocBook, he also abandoned the ability to generate book-like PDFs. It is clear from his blog posting that he thinks those are obsolete now.

All I know is that after several years of professional immersion in DocBook, I find going back to editing raw HTML not just painful, it is excruciating.

As for his assertion that no one in professional technical publishing uses either DocBook or HTML, he might want to look at the approved formats for submitting manuscripts at O'Reilly:
http://oreilly.com/oreilly/author/ch02.html#tools