Subject: Re: [docbook] So, what's the current version of DocBook?

Hello Jirka,

> It depends on what you mean but current? The latest version in 5.0, but
> it doesn't mean that can't successfully use 4.5 or even older versions.

Then I rephrase "current" as:

1. What is the latest version of DocBook?
2. What is the status of version 5.0?
3. Which version is recommended to be used?

>> Therefore I conclude that the official version of DocBook is version
>> 4.5 and 5.0 is still about to be released ...
>
> You shouldn't apply pure logic to information spread over web on several
> and sometimes un-updated web pages.

That's my point after all. If docbook.org is the "primary resource"
about Docbook, then I expect to get well informed by this source. But
perhaps I do not understand who actually maintains this site.

>> Wouldn't it be wise to make www.docbook.org the official DocBook page?
>
> It depends on what you mean by official? docbook.org is the primary
> resource about DocBook, but institutionally development is done inside
> OASIS -- but as OASIS doesn't provide the most flexible environment for
> managing web content.

With "official" I mean the primary resource, especially for regular
users. However, my focus was not on "official" but rather what
docbook.org is all about. The page itself states that it is the home
page for a book which confuses me. Shouldn't that be changed to make
it the primary resource for Docbook?

> If you want to get overview of versions, go to
>
> http://www.docbook.org/specs/
>
> there is missing recent important change that DocBook 5.0 was approved
> as an OASIS Standard.

Needs then to be updated.

>> Wouldn't it be wise further to state there  the role of
>> other"official" sites like FAQ, TC etc, the current version and the
>> role of
>> older versions (supported, update) ??
>
> In general this is good idea, but such information would anyway one time
> became out-of-date.

So does any information published :-)

Seriously, don't understand your point here ..

--
Wolfgang Häfelinger
häfelinger IT - Applied Software Architecture