Subject: RE: italics (was RE: WELCOME to docbook@lists.oasis-open.org)

I believe if you look at the rendered output in HTML, you will
find that the emphasis element produces the <em> element in HTML
and that emphasis with a role of strong produces a <strong>
element in HTML.  While other roles do work, the idea in DocBook
was to say "This needs emphasis" or "This needs strong emphasis"
and have the stylesheets handle doing the right thing with the
render.

Once the HTML standard evolved to the point that semantic rather
than typographic styles were available, the DocBook stylesheets
move to using them, too.  In general, it is preferable to use
emphasis and emphasis with a role of strong to stay in the semantic
arena and let the stylesheets determine what is appropriate in the
output being rendered (for example, our Japanese localizers do not
like bold for strong emphasis -- it distorts the symbols too much,
so we have modified the stylesheets).

While there are situations where it is desirable to directly control
the text enhancements used on a set of characters (such as when you
are describing the way text is displayed in a GUI) I have found them
few and far between and stick with the emphasis and emphasis with a
role of strong in almost everything I do using DocBook.  It also made
my HTML better, since the accessibility folks say to use the semantic
tags instead of the typographic ones, too.

Regards,
Larry Rowland