Subject: RE: [docbook] HOW TO: format formula in docbook 5

If you want to expression in exactly that format, you have to use either MathML or simply use a PNG of the expression.  If you will settle for an equivalent expression, you can use a mathphrase element:

<mathphrase>

   (<replaceable>M</replaceable><superscript>1</superscript>-

   <replaceable>M</replaceable><superscript>2</superscript>)

   /<replaceable>Si</replaceable>

</mathphrase>

I am including some line breaks to make it easier to mail, but in your source you may not want to have the line breaks.  You may or may not want to use the replaceable element to wrap the alpha values (I don’t know which are constants and which are variables) as it italicizes them.

Regards,

Larry Rowland