OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 August 2010

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 August 2010

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 18 August 2010 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+).

1. Roll call

Paul Grosso, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph,
Jirka Kosek, Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh

Regrets: Dick Hamilton, Larry Rowland

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.
3. Next meeting: 15 September 2010

This was changed to 22 September 2010.

4. Review of the agenda.

Add item 10b for API extension elements.

5. Review of open action items

  a.  Norm to develop a proposal for maintaining the DocBook websites.

  b.  Larry to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for

  c.  Jirka to further develop proposal for transclusion in DocBook.

  d.  Norm to release DocBook 5.1b2 and announce it more widely.

  e.  Larry to create a sample of @type in an assembly.

6.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

The second review period of the publishers schema passed
with no new issues.  The Committee resolved and approved
it as a Committe Specification.  

ACTION: Scott to pursue official OASIS publication as a Committee Spec.

7.  eLearning Subcommittee report.

They did not meet this month.  Still working on assembling use
cases so requirements can be developed.

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.


9.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Please see Jirka's updated proposal and discussion thread. [2]

Jirka summarized the current proposal. Quite a bit of detail
was needed for the problem of duplicate ids when content is
included more than once. 

Gershon noted that the processing is complicated, but it is a
necessary complication to handle all the cases.

Norm asked about transformations from other vocabularies
during transclusion.  The Committee decided that was
out of scope, and should be done at the assembly level.

Next steps: Committee members will experiment with it for
a month. At the next meeting decide if we should include
it in the next DocBook 5 beta.

ACTION: Paul to consider implementation details.

ACTION: Jirka to email his open questions to the TC list.

10.  Release of DocBook 5.1 beta.

Norm completed the release of DocBook 5.1b2, but did not
announce it on the public docbook mailing lists.
He will correct that.

10b.  API extensions.

One project of the Google Summer of Code was developing
schema extensions for documenting programming APIs.
The developer asked the Committee about whether these should
be in the DocBook namespace, or a separate namespace?

The Committee felt that people are free to develop extensions
that make use of the DocBook namespace, because of the complications
in mixing namespaces.  However, the Committee wants to
distinguish between ad hoc extensions and those that are
reviewed and approved by the Committee as part of the
DocBook standard 11.

ACTION: Bob to write up a short policy statement about
the use of the DocBook namespace.

Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      2935829  Expand content model of sidebar 
      2964576  disallow table in entry  
      3035565  Allow sections at any level  

The only new item was 3035565.  Bob pointed out that this was
motivated by a need for modular source files, but pointed out
that the assembly mechanism would be better.  

ACTION: Bob to respond to the RFE.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201007/msg00031.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201007/msg00041.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]