Subject: Re: [docbook] profiling

Hi,

>Since im using Docbook im trying to profile my files. There is the
>docbook.xsl which should be replaced by the profile-docbook.xsl. I want
>to render pdf with FOP and im working with the latest Docbook Version, V5.
>
>Which attributes and values do I need in my xml files for profiling?

Usually it's arch, os, audience, and some others. Find the complete list in
Table 26.1. Profiling attributes of [1]

>Can somebody give some example code

Well, first you need to know, which variants you need. For example,
if you write documentation for, let's say, Linux and Windows, your text
will contain two variants. As these are operating systems, the perfect match
would be the os attribute. To distinguish between these two variants you
define the values "linux" and "win".

An installation section could look like this:

 <section>
   <title>Installation</title>
   <para os="linux">To install Foo on Linux, use ...</para>
   <para os="win">To install Foo on Windows, use ...</para>
 </section>

This first step is just to mark the texts for the respective variants. You
can define complete chapters, sections or smaller pieces like paragraphs
(as in the example above) or filenames, or ...  It depends on your needs
and how you structured your text. There are almost no limitations.

The second step is the profiling or filtering step. This step "extracts"
only those pieces what you are interested in. For example, if you
are interested in Linux documentation, elements marked as "win" will
be discarded. Everything else is not affected.

As this is all perfectly explained in Bob's book, I'll refer to [1] for further
details. :)

Tom

[1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Profiling.html#ProfilingAttribs