Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Tool to convert a Docbook xml format to sgml format?

On 14/01/11 07:48, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> Peter Flynn<peter@silmaril.ie>  writes:
>
>> On 13/01/11 18:36, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>>> I have downloaded a Docbook that is in xml format.
>>> I wish to convert it into sgml format.
>>> Are there any tool for this?
>>
>> I'm not aware of one. The first thing I'd try is to run the file
>> through osgmlnorm (part of the OpenSP/Jade package):
>>
>> $ osgmlnorm -wxml xml.dec yourfile.xml
>
> I did try and got error message at the and of process:
>
> $ osgmlnorm -wxml xml.dec manual.xml
> osgmlnorm:E: cannot find "xml.dec"; tried "xml.dec",
> "/usr/local/share/sgml/xml.dec", "/usr/share/sgml/xml.dec"

You need a copy of the SGML Declaration for XML to run SP.
There are links to various copies of it in the XML FAQ at
http://xml.silmaril.ie/validity.html#sgmldec

> When I ask for a tool that can convert a xml file to sgml, then I thought
> for a free software tool. Unfortunately XMetal and Arbortext are not
> free softwares. My system is a GNU/Linux system. :)

Then you should already have a copy of the SGML Declaration for XML on
your disk, but it may be named something other than xml.dec. My Ubuntu
system seems to have something called
/usr/share/xml/declaration/xml.decl as well as
/usr/share/xml/declaration/xml.dcl (both also in
/usr/share/sgml/declaration) so just rerun wuth

$ osgmlnorm -wxml xml.dcl yourfile.xml

///Peter