Subject: <footnote> context

Does anyone have insight into why <footnote> is not allowed inside arbitrary inline elements? Here is a possible use case:

I am not necessarily saying that it should be changed. One advantage to keeping identifiers like <filename> "pure" is that it enables easy copy/paste for a consumer of the output. If there were a footnote symbol in there they would have to delete it. But there could be cases where that's not particularly important.

Just opening it up for discussion, I guess.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer & Information Architect
EMC Captiva

Information Intelligence Group
EMC Corporation
3721 Valley Centre Drive, Ste 200

San Diego, CA 92130

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: rob.cavicchio@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC.