Subject: Re: bibliomixed and extendedlink

Hi Nic,
The extendedlink element defines an XLink, which in its general form is just a link between two resources, but that link is not necessarily a cross reference.  The Definitive Guide says the processing expectation for extendedlink is "Suppressed", and the stylesheets don't even mention it. So I don't think  you should view extendedlink as an inline element, but as metadata whose behavior is defined by the application. In that sense, it is appropriate for the "info" class of elements, while most inlines are not.

But they could do <phrase><link>, as that is allowed in bibliomixed.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Nic Gibson
To: docbook
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 9:07 AM

As Bob Stayton has just been kind enough to point out I've managed to make no sense here.
Please read this as:

I've just been looking at some XML coming in from a typesetter and noticed some misuse of <extendedlink> elements. Looking at what they were trying to do led me to suspect they should have been using a simple <link> element. Of course, these aren't allowed within bibliomixed elements.

So, is there a particular reason why <extendedlink> is allowed within <bibliomixed> when <link> isn't?

yours in a vaguely embarrassed manner

nic