OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 June 2011

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 June 2011

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 15 June 2011 at
01:00p EDT for 60 minutes.


1. Roll call

Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph,
Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh

Scott Hudson, Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 20 July 2011

No regrets.

4. Review of the agenda.

Gershon added item 10b.

5. Review of open action items

  a.  Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
      his notion of the current state of play for assembly.

  b.  Jirka to create a single file Publishers schema.

  c.  Bob to query Norm about adding Publishers schema to TDG.

  d.  Bob to send note to Norm asking if he can create
      a Simplified DocBook 5 schema. Scott said he could help.

  e.  Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
      DocBook document from an assembly.

  f.  Jirka will write up a comparison of the two transclusion 
      approaches (empty element with @ref attribute or
      dedicated ref element).

  g.  Nancy will review the DITA discussion of this
      issue of processing order of transclusions and profiling.

  h.  Bob to investigate ISTC and report to the TC.

6.  Publishers Schema promotion

Add to docbook.org.  Norm needs to redo the schema for release
because it is based on DocBook 5.1, but it should be based
on 5.0.  

ACTION: Norm to produce Publisher's schema based on 5.0.

ACTION: Norm to add links on docbook.org.

Stylesheets.  We have contributed stylesheets that could be added
to the distribution.

ACTION: Bob to add contributed Publishers stylesheets to the distribution.

Documentation. Norm has written a variant of the Definitive Guide
for Publishers.  It is technically accurate, but currently there are
mentions within text descriptions of elements omitted from Publishers.
The examples are more difficult since those are XIncluded text
files without any markup.  He will work on fixing those problems.

ACTION: Norm to fix Publishers doc and publish on docbook.org.

7.  Simplified DocBook 5

Norm has produced a version of Simplified for DocBook 5, but he
based it on 5.1.  Members felt it should be based on 5.0.

ACTION: Norm to redo Simplified DocBook with 5.0 as the base.

ACTION: Norm to post Simplified DocBook 5.0 to docbook.org.

8.  DocBook assembly.

Larry and Norm discussed and settled the last issues.

ACTION: Norm to post DocBook 5.1 beta to docbook.org with
the latest changes.

9.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Nancy posted a description of how DITA handles tranclusions
and conditional text.  TC members should read it for
the next meeting.

ACTION: Nancy to post an explanation of terms used in the paper.

10a. Handling HTML and FO semantics [2]

Based on feedback from the mailing list, Norm withdrew his

10b.  Standards for OASIS documents.

Gershon met with Chet Ensign, the Director of Standards 
Development and TC Administration at OASIS about
document templates and formats for committee documents.
The current expectations are not well defined.
Chet will develop format specs for PDF and HTML documents, then
committees can templates or stylesheets to match those
specs.  Norm seconded the need for such specs.

Gershon also discussed cross-TC work, which currently is not
allowed by OASIS rules.  There is a need for such work,
so Chet will investigate the rules.  Gershon mentioned
the possibility of a DocBook Adoption TC in the future.

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs under discussion
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      3035565  Allow sections at any level  
      3107140  aconym expansion inline 

Norm reopened the discussion with the submittor.

      3146537  HTML forms elements are missing from DocBook 5 schemas  

Already discussed and marked Closed.

      3156768  <result> tag

The TC saw some merit in the suggestion, but need some
concrete content models to discuss.  

ACTION: Gershon to propose content models for result element(s).

      3163121  Add <preface> as a child of <set> 

Submittor did not respond to Norm's query, so the
TC will mark this as Closed, Won't Fix.

      3274136  Production markup is too limiting 


      3287339  Add ISTC to class attribute for biblioid 



[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201104/msg00017.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201106/msg00007.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]