Subject: Re: [docbook] status of graph2svg

Hello Paul,

Dave pointed to the graph2svg utility on google, and has since provided his own link and documentation:

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/graph2svg/

I am wondering about the status and usefulness of the stylesheets. First, the stylesheets require an xsl processor, and the only xsl 2 processor is Saxon. However, if you use the latest version of Saxon, saxon9he.jar, the stylesheets crash because this processor does not accept built in functions. Instead, one has to download the older version to get the stylesheets to work.
The graph2svg stylesheets can be rewritten for XSLT 1.0. I have tested this with my XForms implementation: the XSLT 1.0 stylesheet is applied locally by the browser to an XML instance.

Converting from XSLT 2.0 to XSLT 1.0 is not quite easy because of XPath 2.0 expressions, XPath 2.0 definitions of functions, math library to be implemented with iterative algorithms,...

Have a look at http://www.svgopen.org/2010/papers/14-Dynamic_SVG_graphs_for_XForms/

-Alain