Subject: Re: [docbook] RFE/RFC: Include format Attribute in DocBook Schema?

Hi Ben,

Am Sonntag, 3. Juni 2012, 13:44:21 schrieb ben.guillon:

> IMO there's already the profiling mechanism to have conditional elements:
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Profiling.html
>
> I think it's enough for elements used for a specific format. It's what I
> use to tweak PDF and HTML outputs.

Thanks Ben for your suggestion. :)

I use profiling and the condition attribute already. However, from a semantic
point of view, condition is very general, not specific to an output format (of
course, I can (ab)use it this way, but that's not the point.)

Another reason why I think a "format" attribute may be useful: the condition
attribute could already be occupied, for example, to apply a special
transformation rule. That's one reason why there is such a general attribute.
All the other attributes (arch, audience, ...) have a meaning as well.

As far as I can see, currently there is no attribute which is invented for
this purpose. That's the reason why I think the schema will benefit from it,
also in the light of assemblies.

------
[1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Profiling.html#ProfilingAttribs

--