Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Slides 5.0 alpha1 available for testing

On 06/23/2012 03:18 AM, Justus-bulk@Piater.name wrote:
> Hi Gabor,
>
> Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@kovesdan.org> wrote on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:21:14
> +0200:
>
>> I have no idea how to calculate what will fit on a slide and what
>> won't and it also depends on the output format.
> I think this is beyond the scope of DB-Slides.  It is up to the user to
> decide what to put on a slide.

I agree.

>>> I suspect that consistent content positioning (without using tables)
>>> between HTML and FO targets will require some thought.  To this end,
>>> will slide-specific markup be part of your project?
>> I imagine you mean that you want to present the content on web and
>> provide a printable version with the very same outlook
> No, I don't need strict consistency. But it would be nice to be able to
> use any suitable output formats for presentations (HTML, PDF, ...).  It
> is easy (but cumbersome and abusive) to achieve almost any page layout
> using tables in a target-agnostic way.  But if we want to layout HTML
> using CSS (float style, etc.), then we need DB Slides markup that is
> translated into CSS classes for HTML and into, say, tables for FO
> output.  We have already discussed such markup on this list.

Right. I think we all understand that for slides, the distinction
between content and style is quite different than for other DocBook
content. With slides much of the styling is itself content, so the
vocabulary needs to support that. However, I'd really like to experiment
to find a minimal set of additional markup to support this. Right now we
already have an additional "style" attribute that could be used to pick
different slide layouts (in both the fo xsl templates as well as the
html CSS). I'd be interested in seeing how far we can get with that,
before having to add more.

I'd also like to see support for multi-column layout in slides, but in
contrast to other places where the text would flow freely into them,
it's quite likely that slide authors want to explicitly position content
into columns.

    Stefan